Saturday, March 5, 2011

Chantry Flat to Cosmic Cafe ~ 17.5mi


View Chantry Flat to Cosmic Cafe in a larger map

This was our first group hike with the Los Angeles Hiking Meetup Group. Unfortunately my iPhone's battery died right around the 12mi point and we soon after saw a sign that said Chantry Flat 5mi so with the distance to the car factored in, we did roughly 17.5 miles. It was brutal; the heat on the southeast side was surprising and the slush on the switchbacks past Sturtevant Camp made for slow-going. On the way down, I was surprised how slow I was going. Turns out I was getting sick and was going through the first stages of heat exhaustion. I thought I was drinking enough water but I awoke in the middle of the night with a powerful urge to vomit. Not exactly the best conditions for hiking, but I did it anyway; I'm stupid like that. :)


We never seem to be able to sleep in on weekends...



The group heads up from Chantry Flat parking lot


Crossing the stream


Sturtevant Camp


Sturtevant Camp


Mt Baldy, covered in snow


Our group at the summit


Starting back down the fire road

Shortly after this point, my battery died so I don't have any more photos or even a complete route with the GPS. Fortunately, we ordered some extended battery packs for our phones so we can charge while we break for lunch. I'm too cheap to go out and buy a full-on GPS yet. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment